What’s a Spirograph toy?
Roughly speaking, the Spirograph is a device that creates special curves that are called hypotrochoids and epitrochoids. The Spirograph is a relatively new invention – it was created by Denys Fisher, a British engineer, in 1965. If you had a Spirograph set when you were little, you may remember that the toy generally consists of several cogged roulettes that resemble pinions. There are also two cogged rings and a cogged bar. The mechanism of creating a Spirograph pattern is rather simple:
- Pin cogged rings/bars to a sheet of paper
- Take a roulette
- Take a colored pen and place it through one of the holes of the roulette
- Move the roulette along the inside or outside of the cogged ring/bar
- Enjoy your Spirograph pattern!
Why is it useful?
It may seem that the Spirograph can be used for your entertainment only; however, if you are crazy about handmade items, the set can prove to be very helpful! You can use it to:
- Create a greeting card – the easiest way to show someone that you care is to give them a handmade greeting card! You can create fantastic birthday cards or unique wedding invitation cards – you are only limited by your imagination!
- Create a picture – you can easily create a unique picture or poster if you transfer a Spirograph pattern to a canvas. Use acrylic or oil paints to add color to your drawing.
- Decorate a T-shirt or a cushion – if you have a simple white T-shirt/cushion, you can use a Spirograph pattern to create a cool design! Be sure to use fabric paints!
- Decorate a mug or a plate – use non-toxic paint markers to add color to a Spirograph pattern transferred to your favorite mug or plates.
Have fun bringing these ideas to life!