Fun facts about “ten”
- Did you know that there is an English prefix that means “ten”? Well, there is! In fact, there are a lot of funny-sounding and interesting words with prefix deca-. The word decadactylous refers to a creature with 10 fingers or an object with 10 rays; if a person is decemdentate, he/she has only 10 teeth; shrimps, lobsters, crabs, and mudbugs are called decapods because they have 10 feet.
- Guess what number is written as 1010 in binary! It’s 10! Easy to remember, isn’t it?
- Wanna enjoy picturesque coastal landscapes and national parks? Journey down Interstate 10, one of the most scenic roadways in the USA that connects Florida and California!
- Can you find the length of your hand without using a ruler? It’s very simple - just divide your height by 10! In fact, the length of a hand of an adult person nears 1/10 of his/her height!
Fun facts about “eleven”
- It’s a well-known fact that the First World War ended on November 11, 1918. But do you know that it came to end not only on the eleventh day of the eleventh month but also at 11 a.m. which is the exact time when the armistice agreement between the Allies of World War I and Germany took effect?
- What spacecraft landed on the Moon in 1969? Yes, you are right – it’s Apollo 11!
- What is the first thing that comes to your mind when someone asks you, “Who lives under the sea?”? We bet you are thinking of someone yellow and porous! Well, the very bottom of the Mariana Trench that is, by the way, about 11 km deep is inhabited by Xenophyophores, the largest single-celled organisms.
Thanks for reading!
Now, it's time to test your knowledge!Play Quiz